Saturday, May 16, 2009

not sleeping in the closet

I need to preface this story by saying I should be finishing my sermon for tomorrow morning. I have a few tweaks to make to it but one of my take away points is that children (and others we overlook) are not a burden to our lives. And so my son helped me take to heart this point tonight as I was putting him to bed.

Our oldest son Brighton talks a long time to go to bed...I mean a long time. Every night is another adventure and I'm sure Super Nanny could break him of his tireless habits but we have not been able to.

As it was, I tucked him into bed after he took every last second to go to the bathroom and get a sip of water, then I told him a story.

After this it was back and forth a number of times until I gave him an ultimatum.

I told Brighton, who was sleeping with a stuffed Shamu for comfort, one final time, "If you get out of bed one more time, Shamu is mine and he is going to sleep in the closet."

Brighton replied, "Daddy, you don't sleep in the closet."

Trying not to laugh, I walked out of the room and started writing again.

2 comments:

Connor McClenahan said...

HAHAHA. That's hilarious. But seriously, I really enjoyed your message. What I really took away from it was that Christ wants us to love well those who "mess up our lives", who are inconvenient to us. It's important to love those people, and it shows the depth of Christ's love in us when we do because those people usually cannot pay us back. Anyway, it was great to hear your message. Talk to ya soon.

Douglas Clarke said...

I remember those days well. Somehow we got by them quickly and our kids learned that bedtime was not when your tire, but a time on the clock.

It made all the difference when they got older. We never had the argument that they didn't want to go to bed. They knew it was just time.

Stand firm.

Doug Calrke